Ask us a question

If you have a question, please get in touch using the form below and we’ll make sure we get back in touch with you as soon as possible.


About care in the NT

Adults in good physical and emotional health, with a strong desire and compassion to help a child or young person can apply to become a carer.

You can be:

  • single, married, or in a defacto relationship, including same-sex relationships 
  • working with children or have no children of your own
  • renting, buying or owning their home
  • working full-time or part-time or not working
  • rrom a culturally diverse background
  • living in a city, small town or remote location.

As there are a number of different kinds of care, carers can find an arrangement that suits them best.  For example, some families may be interested in a long-term placement that is stable, whereas others may be more suited to emergency or respite placements. In the Northern Territory,  'Defence families' on deployment are an example of carers who may be unsure of how long they will be in a position to care for a child, but they are still able to make a difference through emergency care and respite placements.

Carers may be more suitable or comfortable providing care for children in particular types of children due to their experience, or they may have special skills and attributes that make them a great candidate for particular children. For example, people in health and caring professions, (such as doctors, nurses, teachers and child care workers) may be more confident in caring for a child with serious behavioral difficulties or physical or intellectual disabilities.